We must view young people not as empty bottles to be filled, but as candles to be lit.
Robert H. Shaffer

Sunday, March 18, 2012

2201 No Class Assignment


How a Ragtag band created Wikipedia

Three things I learned:

·         Two million total articles only 600,000+ are in English. Only around 1/3 of the traffic are English visitors.

·         Only one employee, lead software developer, the rest are volunteers.

·         Only about 18% of the edits are done anonymously.

Two things I agreed with:

·         Wikipedia should be neutral in controversial issues.

·         Freely licensed textbooks are the next big thing in education.

One thing I disagreed with:

·         I don’t know of anything I disagreed with.

Wikipedia Pretty Accurate But Hard to Read

I found this article surprising because I often find the information on Wikipedia to be much easier to understand. It is for this reason I go there when I need a good starting point when writing a paper.

How often do I use Wikipedia to write papers, in the ways described in 4 Ways to Use Wikipedia Never Cite IT

I fall in a category somewhere between always and sometimes when using Wikipedia in the ways described. However, I have never cited Wikipedia as a source of reference.

Wikipedia Reliability Worksheet

1.       There aren’t any cleanup banners to indicate problems.

2.      I read through the article and it seems to meet the requirements.

3.      There are many references and for the most part they seem reliable.

4.      The only rating I found is the article could be improved to at least a B rating by following eleven easy steps. The issues being discussed are terminology and citations.

5.      I rate this article partially reliable because there were no cleanup banners and there were many references, but there was still room for improvements after looking at the discussion topics.

No comments:

Post a Comment