We must view young people not as empty bottles to be filled, but as candles to be lit.
Robert H. Shaffer

Monday, February 6, 2012

3351 I Am From


I am from the green grass on the farm, from the Shake n’ Bake barbeque chicken and from catching fireflies at dusk.

I am from the rented house that’s no longer there, and a mother’s struggles to stand alone.

I am from the trickling water in the creek, the soft, powdery dirt under my bare feet.

I am from softball in the field and skipping rocks at the river. I’m from Rummy 500 any night of the week.

I am from the Hornicks and the Bohons, Jean and Ordie. From strong, tenacious matriarchs.

From stand up for yourself and live with no regrets.

I am from Bible school to meal time prayers and Mother’s Day mass.

I’m from Silica and Helvetia, ghoulash and Granny’s finger rolls with her homemade maple icing.

 From the friendships old and new, two little girls who really grew and a love on round number two.

I am from puppies found and kittens rescued, halftime shows and Saturday meets. I am from the mountains and the snow, from family gone but not forgotten. I am from the pride of the red, white, and blue.

2 comments:

  1. This is a beautiful poem! It stirs strong emotions in the reader as your elude to struggle and triumph!! Are you really from Helvetia? My son is obsessed with going there. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. One thing I learned about you is that you are proud of your family and what it has taken to bring you to where you are today!
    Your family is similar to than mine because I also used to (and still do sometimes) catch fireflies and go to church and are proud of my families struggle to get to where we are at today.
    The best thing about your "Where I am from," project is the flow of your poem, it is very good!
    One think you could change is to post your video to your blog so we can see the pictures that match your beautiful poem!! :)

    ReplyDelete