We must view young people not as empty bottles to be filled, but as candles to be lit.
Robert H. Shaffer

Wednesday, January 18, 2012

3351 Double Entry Journal #1

Quote
Teaching is leaving a vestige of one self in the development of another. And surely the student is a bank where you can deposit your most precious treasures. ~Eugene P. Bertin

Reaction: I chose this quote because I believe every student has potential to be their very best and as teachers it is up to us to help them find what that is.

Double Entry Journal #1
Inclusion means to include every individual regardless of their differences. All students deserve to feel as if they belong. Each and every student has something they can contribute.
As I was reading the Inclusive School Characteristics I began to think of my daughters education. Both of them have had the opportunity to serve as peer tutors and participate in cross-age tutoring. I feel that as they helped fellow classmates with there studies they also benefited. They have learned how to be patient, kind, and responsible young girls.

Three types of students Inclusive Education is meant to serve are students with varied ethnic, linguistic, socioeconomic and ability components.

Two characteristics of Inclusive schools are teachers as partners and problem solving teams. Teachers as partners is an effective approach because the teachers work together on solutions. Problem-solving teams is beneficial because there is a whole team of people making decisions for what is best for the student. My youngest daughter is in the extended studies program at her school and I have had to be a part of a team assembled for her.

One strategy I have seen the benefits of is students as problem solvers. I have witnessed the effects of this strategy and I am convinced it is an effective tool. Students who participate in this way feel as though they belong and have a responsibility within their community.

References
Inos, R. H. (nd). Research review for inclusive practices. Retrieved from http://www.prel.org/products/Products/Inclusive-practices.htmSon of Citation Machine

No comments:

Post a Comment